In 2011, I switched from PC to Mac. I used a MacBook Air 15″ for about a year until it got stolen. I then rushed back to a PC. It was for a simple reason: I couldn’t get work done as easily on a Mac. It’s interesting how little marketing Microsoft has done to point out MacOS’s shortcomings. There are at least a dozen reasons why moving to a Mac would drive you nuts. Each of these could have been a great retaliatory “PC vs. Mac” TV advert. Here’s my top list of things you’ll hate about moving to a Mac, and a few things you’d absolutely love.
Disclaimer: I wrote this list before trying the abysmal OS that is Windows 8. Anything is better than Windows 8. Even Windows ME. And please excuse the preponderance of ‘WTF’ below, I couldn’t find a more appropriate expletive.
What you’ll hate
- Stupidest ever shortcuts with Control, Option (aka Alt), Fn, Shift, and Command. No consistency. Very hard to recall what to press and when. It’s maybe perfect if you’re a pianist, less so if you just want to get work done.
- No home, end, page up or page down buttons in the keyboard.
- No delete button. You have to Ctrl + Backspace. WTF.
- Maximise doesn’t maximise (they did fix it in the last OS).
- Close doesn’t close.
- Enter doesn’t open files. It renames them. WTF.
- Folders are sorted alongside files, instead of being displayed on top.
- To install programs, you download a .dmg file (WTF?) and then drag it to drive (WTF?). Then you unmount the downloaded file. WTF.
- Excel shortcuts. E.g. F2 becomes Alt + U. WTF.
- Office sucks.
- Office crashes.
- You’ll have to zoom in, in every Word and Excel doc, which will just drive your PC colleagues nuts (they’ll zoom out, you’ll zoom in).
- Apps do crash. Don’t believe the hype.
- To switch to another window you use Cmd+Tab unless it’s another window of the app you’re in and then it’s Cmd+`. WTF.
- You have to empty the entire trash – you can’t permanently delete just specific files (something took the metaphor of a trash can a bit too far). WTF.
- Apple fanboys who tell you can fix all of the above with some geeky hack or 3rd party software.
- Hardware is beautiful.
- Hardware just works.
- Hardware doesn’t come with ugly stickers by Intel, Microsoft and the OEM that you’ll have to remove.
- Hardware doesn’t come pre-installed with crapware.
- Standby just works.
- Even a slow Macbook just works. Not like a PC where you have to launch Task Manager every hour to kill apps.
- Font rendering is just beautiful.
- You’ll be the coolest kid in town and you’ll wake up to double rainbows every morning.